Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Helping Elephants

Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to help the elephants in Africa from being killed for their ivory tusks. I have researched the ivory trade over the years and it is terrible to hear of all the elephants that are being killed illegally in Africa. People think that all elephants are very dangerous animals and need to be kept under complete control, but in reality they are very peaceful. If you keep your distance from them, they might not even take heed of your presence. There are people out there who are trying to help the elephants, like a woman named Cynthia Moss, who has been researching African elephants for a very long time, and follows certain herds around to watch their natural behavior. Also ther is an organization called The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, which saves orphaned baby elephants and takes care of them until they are big enough to take care of themselves. I used to help foster some of these baby elephants with some friends of mine and I hope to find other ways to help out the elephants again sometime. Until then, I will try my hardest to keep you up dated!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find your blog very well written. I too love to help out in the nursery at church. I encourage you to do your best in everything you do for the elephants. May God bless you. I just prayed that God may bless you in a special unique way today!

Abigail Hastings said...

Thank you! I visited your blog and found it very uplifting. Keep trusting in God.
-Hepzibah Hastings

Dutchess said...

thank you! I love your name, Hepzibah, it is gorgeous!

I also think elephants are darling creatures!